New Zealand is a clean and peaceful country. Great climate, beautiful sceneries, great economy, and lifestyle make it a wonderful place to live in. New Zealand provides great opportunities for study, work, and business. The country offers a wealth of opportunities and possibilities for immigrants based on their capabilities. It is a country filled with many wonderful benefits. Families can enjoy a safe and relaxing life filled with health, happiness and success.
There are variety of visas available to New Zealand. However, many temporary workers strive very hard to get NZ residency status especially after covid 19 outbreak and due to a lot of uncertainty all over the world.
A residency status is when the New Zealand government, through Immigration New Zealand, has granted you the right to live, work and study in New Zealand permanently. amp resident can enjoy many benefits in the country with wide access to most publicly funded services and other amenities like;
- Welfare benefits
In this regard the New Zealand government officially announced a new resident visa 2021 – “We are providing a way forward for our migrant families who have been long disrupted by COVID-19, while ensuring businesses have the certainty they need to plan into the future and continue driving the economic recovery,” Immigration Minister Kris Faafoi said.
What is New Zealand Resident Visa 2021?
On 30th September 2021, the Government announced a new one-off residence pathway for some temporary work visa holders who were in New Zealand on 29th September 2021. Some critical purpose visa holders arriving in New Zealand between 30 September 2021 and 31 July 2022 on long-term visas may also be eligible for this new visa including Essential Skills, Work to Residence, and Post Study Work visas. Partners and dependent children, including those currently outside New Zealand, can be included in residence applications.
Applicants must have met the criteria on 29 September 2021.
To be eligible you must:
- have been in New Zealand on 29 September 2021, and
- be on an eligible visa or have applied for an eligible visa on or before 29 September 2021 that is later granted.
- work in a role on the Long Term Skill Shortage List, or
- hold occupational registration and work in the health or education sector, or
- work in personal care or other critical health worker roles, or
- work in a specified role in the primary industries.
You must also meet ONE of the three criteria:
- have lived in New Zealand for three or more years, OR
- earn at or above the median wage ($27 per hour), OR
- work in a role on a scarce list.
If you meet the criteria for eligibility but are in Australia and have been unable to return to New Zealand by 29 September 2021, you may be considered eligible.
When can I apply for the 2021 Resident Visa?
2021 Resident Visa applications will be open in two-stages
- 1st December 2021 for those who already applied under the Skilled Migrant and Residence from Work categories before 29th September 2021 or had submitted a Skilled Migrant Category Expression of Interest
- 1st March 2022 for all other eligible remaining eligible applicants, including those who had submitted a Skilled Migrant Expression of Interest.
All applications under this one-off residence pathway must be lodged by 31st July 2022.
Whose visas are ‘Eligible’?
- Post Study Work Visa
- Talent (Accredited Employer) Work Visa
- Essential Skills Work Visa
- Religious Worker Work Visa
- Talent (Arts, Culture, Sports) Work Visa
- Long Term Skill Shortage List Work Visa
- Silver Fern Practical Experience Work Visa
- Trafficking Victim Work Visa
- Migrant Exploitation Protection Work Visa
- Skilled Migrant Category Job Search Work Visa
- Victims of Family Violence Work
- Visa South Island Contribution Work Visa
- Work Visa already granted under Section 61 (provided the applicant held another eligible visa type within 6 months before being granted a Section 61 visa)
- Some Critical Purpose Visitor Visas (CPVV):
- Critical health workers for longer term roles (6 months or longer), and
- Other critical workers for long term roles (more than 6 months).
Who’s not included?
Based on current information, those who hold the below visas are not eligible
- Partnership based visas
- Visitor visa
- Student visa
- Working Holiday work visa
- Seasonal workers
- Short-term critical workers
It is expected the majority of applications will be processed within 12 months, with most being processed much faster.
This page will be updated regularly with the latest processing times and information.
Advantages of New Resident visa 2021:
- One-off resident visa for up to 165,000 migrants provides certainty for New Zealand businesses so they can plan into the future
- Visa creates residence pathway for over 5,000 health and aged care workers, around 9,000 primary industry workers, and more than 800 teachers
- Streamlined application process requiring health, police and security criteria to be met so it provides opportunity to only those who are eligible
- Quick processing time that majority of applications to be granted within a year of the category opening
- The changes give migrants certainty about their future here, allowing them to continue putting down roots, and will help reunite many families who were separated by the border restrictions that prevent COVID-19 entering the community
- The 2021 Resident Visa will also help New Zealand to attract and retain the skills that our businesses need to help relieve labour pressures caused by COVID-19.
- Employers will now have the opportunity to retain their settled and skilled migrant workers
- Reflects in improved economy due to critical part they play including essential workforce and communities.
This is very positive news for work visa holders in New Zealand that are clearly able to meet requirements. We anticipate work visa holders will want to check their eligibility. We recommend contacting us if you or your employees have any questions in relation to the new policy.
Novaturient is a Licensed Immigration consultant that offer Visa services in acquiring Permanent Resident Visa, Student Visa and Visit Visa for countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Schengen Countries and the UK.
Call us : 9731473738
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org