Visit Visa (Finland)
If you are planning to visit Finland as a tourist, then you must know the visa requirements for this northern European nation.
You will need a short-term visa to visit Finland which is valid for 90 days. This short-term visa is also known as the Schengen visa. As you may be aware the Schengen visa is valid in all the European countries which are part of the Schengen agreement. Finland is one of the countries under the Schengen agreement.
With a Schengen visa you can travel to and stay in Finland and all the other 26 Schengen countries.
Finland Tourist Visa Requirement
When you apply for a Finland Tourist Visa you need to put together a list of required documents:
- Valid passport. It’s important that you hold a valid passport when you apply for a Finland tourist visa. Your passport should be valid even three months after you return from your visit and it should have been issued during the last decade.
- Finland Tourist Visa Application Form. You have to fill in the visa application form so that you can attach it to your documents. Please make sure that you fill it in with the correct and updated information.
- Identity Picture. A recent identity picture is also required. You should make sure that you are following the Schengen visa photo rules when you take your picture.
- Travel Insurance. In order to qualify for a Schengen visa, you need to provide travel insurance. The insurance needs to be up to the amount of €30,000 and cover any kind of medical emergencies during your travel.
- Travel Itinerary. Some embassies may ask for a detailed travel itinerary where you write your departure and return dates, your flight number, and your visit plans. They usually ask for this to make sure that you won’t be overstaying after your visa is expired. You don’t have to actually purchase a ticket for this; you can simply reserve the flight tickets.
- Proof of accommodation in Finland. You need to provide evidence that you have secured accommodation for the duration of your stay in Finland. You can either attach proof of hotel bookings or rental agreements.
- Copies of Previous Schengen Visas. If you were issued any type of Schengen visa before you apply for a Finland tourist visa then you need to attach the copies of that visa to your application.
- Copies of Previous Passports.
- Copy of Passport Bio Page. Finland now requires that all applicants attach a copy of their passport’s bio page to the application, so make sure you add that as well.
- Financial Means. You must also provide evidence that you can finance your visit to Finland.
- Invitation Letter. If you were invited by a family member or friend then you must also attach an invitation letter to your application. This letter should contain all the details of your inviter and their residence status.
- Employment Status Document. Depending on your current status you may be asked to provide:
- Work contract.
- Pension statement (if retired).
- Student records (if a student).
- Cover Letter. You also need to write a cover letter where you state the reason why you want to visit Finland, where you plan to go, and when you will return.
- Civil Status Documents. You may also be asked to provide copies of your birth certificate, marriage license, divorce papers, or adoption papers. It all depends on your personal situation and the embassy.
- Residence Certificate. You need to provide a document proving that you are living legally in your current country of residence.
Keep in mind that when it comes to requirements the embassies can ask for any other documents depending on various reasons. You may also be asked to legalize some documents, please make sure you check in with a local Finnish mission.
How to Apply for a Finland Tourist Visa?
This is what you need to do when you want to apply for a Finland tourist visa:
- Fill in your visa application form.
- Assemble all your documents.
- Find a local Finnish mission.
- Make an appointment.
- Prepare for an interview.
Visa Processing Time
Expect a processing time of 10 working days after the interview at the Finland embassy. However, the processing time could extend to more days if the immigration authorities find it necessary. It’s time to start the Schengen Visa process!
Duration of stay:
A Finland tourist visa is valid for three months within a six-month period. This means that you can spend 90 days within a 180 days period in Finland. Please don’t pass your limit otherwise you risk being banned from the Schengen area altogether.
Can I Visit Other Countries With a Finland Tourist Visa?
Yes, you can. A Schengen visa is valid for all the countries in the Schengen Area and the EEA/EU so you can visit any country within this zone. But, keep in mind that all the days you spend visiting other countries are counted as per your 90/180-day rule.
What if I Need to Stay Longer in Finland?
If you need to stay longer than 90 days in Finland you can apply for a visa extension. Since a visa is rarely extended you must have a really strong reason.
In cases of unexpected personal business, such as a sudden wedding or funeral, or if you are facing a force majeure, such as a natural disaster or a difficult political situation in your country, or you have an unexpected illness your visa can be extended.
A visa extension is issued by the Police authority in Finland.
If you plan to stay longer than the validity of a tourist visa you can apply for a national visa. A national visa usually allows the holder to stay for 3 months up to 6, and afterward, you can even apply for a residence permit.
Types of Finland long stay visas:
- Finland Student Visa
- Finland Work Visa
- Finland Family Reunion Visa
How can we help you?
Novaturient is a Licensed Immigration consultant that offer Visa services in acquiring Permanent Resident Visa, Student Visa and Visit Visa for countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Schengen Countries and the UK.
© 2022 Novaturient Visas