Today the United Kingdom is one of the most popular destinations for a better life because it offers a great way to connect your potential and enjoy a dynamic new culture simultaneously. The United Kingdom attracts many young and talented minds from different parts of the world. Many Indians also consider UK as a prominent destination for immigration with the objective to live and work in the magnificent country. The process for UK immigration is a bit time taking but reasonably straightforward when linked to other developed countries. If you have lived in the UK for few years legally or otherwise, you can apply for permanent residency.
Permanent resident status in UK affords any person who wants to live and work in the UK indefinitely a chance to do so. The interested person needs to acquire this permit in order to work or conduct business in the UK, without any time limits on their stay and immigration restrictions.
What is ILR?
The UK equivalent of Green Card is the ‘Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR)’, which allows one to attain the status of ‘Permanent resident of the UK’.
Who can apply for PR / ILR in UK?
- Tier 1
- Tier 2 of the points-based system: for the skilled professionals from overseas who has a valid job offer in United Kingdom
- International students and Research Fellows
- Representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency, PR agency or broadcasting organization
- Private servant in a diplomatic household
- Domestic worker in a private household
- Overseas government employee
- Self-employed lawyer or solicitor
- UK ancestry
- Highly skilled migrant under the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP)
- Retired person of independent means
- Sole representative of an overseas firm
For the above cases, one need to live in UK for 5 years before applying for ILR. One can also apply for UK PR if you have a family member or a partner who is a British citizenship.
Eligibility to get PR in UK:
- One who has worked for five years in the UK
- A full-time job with stable income (minimum of £35,000/ Year)
- Good moral conduct with zero criminal records
- Clearing knowledge of Life in the UK test
- Clearing a recognized English Language test.
You need to comply with time length spent in UK on different visas before applying for ILR;
|S No||Type of immigrants||Time duration|
|1||Marriage or unmarried partner to UK citizen||2 years|
|2||Lawful stay on any basis (long stay)||10 Years|
|3||Unlawful stay||14 Years|
|4||Tier 1 and Tier 2 work permit||5 Years|
|5||Investor, sportsperson, business owner, arts||5 Years|
- Current Payslips
- Bank account statements
- Address proof (like rent or lease contract etc.)
- Council tax letters
- Proof supporting calculation of an applicant’s disclosed other sources of income, if any.
- Appointment Letter from employer on company Letterhead with signatory authority stamp and date in case the applicant is a job employee.
- In case of business owners, material apropos must be provided regarding registered business address, relevant valid permits etc.
To take PR in UK, completing the application is, indeed, one of the last things you will do. First, you need to check your eligibility and collect all the relevant paperwork. Then you need to ensure you have access to all details about your immigration history, especially if you have been on a variety of visas since your arrival in the country.
It will take around 6 months or more to complete the application processing.
There are two types of application forms you can use, make sure you choose the correct form applicable to your personal situation:
You can use this application form if you are the partner of a UK citizen or the parent of a child settled in the UK.
Use this form if you have lived in the UK in any one of the immigration categories above.
You will need to provide documents as proof of your legal stay in the UK as part of the application process. These may include:
- Bank account statements
- Council tax letters
- Letter from employer on company headed paper
How to get PR in UK after study?
Many international students wanting to study in the UK have a question in their mind, is it possible to get PR in UK after study? Yes, it is possible if you fulfil the requirements.
Here we have simplified the process into 5 simple steps:
Step 1: Get admitted to any educational Universities in UK by fulfilling the basic eligibility criteria
Step 2: The students need to first apply for student visa for UK , which is Tier 4 student visa. This will also help you to get PR in UK.
Step 3: Start working during your studies as part time / full time worker
Step 4: Getting Employed soon after studies in UK. However, students need to apply for work permit after gaining a good job is a good option for staying in the UK after studying.
Step 5: Apply for PR: You can apply for a permanent residence card in UK after completing 5 full years of a graduate job.
Permanent residency applications could be rejected if the requirements are not met by the applicant. It is always better to take right guidance from the right immigration agency. Novaturient immigration agents are fully knowledgeable about getting a PR in UK without much aggravation.