What is a UK settlement visa?
Permanent settlement status in the UK, also known as indefinite leave to remain, is the most comprehensive and long-term status you can obtain. A settlement visa in the UK is a type of status that you can apply for if you want to live, work and study in the UK permanently with almost no future restrictions.
In order to be granted settlement by the Home Office, you will have to fill in a lengthy application and provide lots of evidence that you have been a part of UK society for at least five years.
When can you apply for UK settlement?
- You can apply for a UK settlement visa if you have been in the UK for five or more years on a different type of visa, such as a work, study or business visa.
- You can also apply for settlement if you are from the EEA or Switzerland and have lived here for that same amount of time.
- To apply for settlement in the UK you will have to have been living in the UK continuously for at least five years.
How to apply for settlement visa?
You can apply for a settlement visa by yourself online or via post to the Home Office, however you should bear in mind that the process can be complex and lengthy.
How long can you stay as a UK resident?
The UK settlement visa allows an individual to remain in the UK for as long as they wish. Because there are nearly no restrictions, these visas are commonly sought by anyone who has held a previous long-term visa.
Once you’ve lived in the UK for at least a year on a settlement visa, you will be eligible to apply for British citizenship.
Documents required for settlement visa:
- Printed application form
- Applicant’s current passport. This will be handed over when your fingerprints are taken for your biometric residence permit and will not be returned until the visa is Contact details and credentials of the translator.
- The Visa4UK appointment confirmation letter.
- Completed Appendix 2 (VAF 4A December 2013) financial requirement form.
- Two UK passport size colour photographs of the applicant
- Original birth certificate of the applicant.
- Original marriage certificate if you are married.
- A copy of the national identity card of the applicant.
- A certified translation of the applicant’s birth certificate if it is not in English.
- A certified translation of the marriage certificate if it is not in English.
- Original English language certificate IELTS CEFR Level A1 or higher if required.
- Applicant’s supporting letter.
- Certified translation of divorce or death certificate if it is not in English.
- Original divorce (or death) certificate if previously married
How much is settlement visa?
|Fees category||Current Fee|
|Settlement – another dependant relative||£3,250|
|Settlement – refugee dependant relative||£388|
|Indefinite leave to enter the UK as the dependant of a member of the armed forces under Appendix Armed Forces to the Immigration Rules.||£2,389|
Various reasons to apply for UK settlement visa:
If you have family in the UK
You may be able to apply if you have a work visa.
You must usually have lived and worked in the UK for 5 years. If you have a tier 1 visa, it can be 2 or 3 years. If you have an Innovator or Global Talent visa, it can be 3 years.
You may also need to meet the salary or financial requirements – this depends on your visa.
Settle on the basis of long continuous residence
If you have been lawfully living in the UK for ten years or more, you may be eligible to apply for your UK settlement visa on the basis of ‘long continuous residence’.
You may also be eligible to apply for long continuous residence if you have been in the UK for 20 years or more, even if some or all of that time was spent in the UK unlawfully.
Permanently join your parents in the UK
If you are the child dependant of a British citizen or a person with settled status, you may eligible for a visa to live in the UK.
As long as you are a dependent of the parent or parents who currently live in the UK, and under the age of 18, you should be able to settle with them too on the UK settlement visa.
Apply for a permanent residence card
If you are an EEA citizen, you can apply for a ‘permanent residence card’ to prove your permanent residency and help you settle in the UK indefinitely.
Permanently join your partner in the UK
If you and your partner are in a genuine relationship and your partner is a UK citizen, EEA citizen living in the UK or a holder of ‘indefinite leave to remain’, you may be able to join them here permanently on a UK settlement visa.
How do I know my UK settlement visa is approved?
If you are applying from the UK, then you should receive a letter or email that confirms that your application is approved. Once approved, your Biometric Residence Permit should arrive with you by courier within 7 – 10 days of receiving your decision letter.
Applying for permanent settlement can be complex. However, our expert immigration solicitors are on hand to give assistance every step of the way.
Novaturient is a Licensed Immigration consultant that offer Visa services in acquiring Permanent Resident Visa, Student Visa and Visit Visa for countries such as Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Schengen Countries and the UK.
Call us : 9731473738
Email : email@example.com